JOB TITLE: Finance Director
LOCATION: Accra, Ghana
SUGGESTED START DATE: Immediately
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: At least 2 years with opportunity to extend based on performance
REPORTS TO: CEO
DEADLINE: Early applications strongly encouraged
A for-profit Ghanaian company that builds technologies to connect rural customers to information, financial tools, and supply chains. Over the past three years, has built a profitable social business, software technology, and partnership network reaching over 200,000 farmers across 11 countries. The Company is a dynamic and quickly growing company with offices in Accra and Kumasi, Ghana, and operations in Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Nigeria, Malawi and other African countries.
The purpose of the role of the Finance Director (FD) is to ensure the overall effective financial management and reporting for the company and actively contribute towards the financial planning and strategic growth of the organisation as the head of the finance function and a key member of the Management Team.
The FD is expected to plan, organise and direct the financial activities of the organisation. Generally, this includes accounting system (SAGE) maintenance, accounting planning, preparation of a comprehensive Annual Financial Report, budget preparation, special projects as required by the management team, serve as the accounting and finance resource for the organisation, and Finance Department staff supervision.
EXPERIENCES & QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 4 years’ experience of working in a small and medium-sized company
- Experience of managing a small finance team
- Experience of leading capital sourcing initiatives for a growing SME and liaising with investors
- Experience of reporting and monitoring to tight deadlines
- At least a first degree from a recognised tertiary institution
- Professional accounting qualification, e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent
- To participate within the Strategic Management Team in forward planning and the effective daily organisation of the company’s activities, including business planning, policy setting, financial forecasting and strategic decision-making.
Financial Management, Control and Reporting:
- To lead the company’s investor engagement and capital raising initiatives including managing pipeline, financial models, investor correspondence and completing due diligence procedures
- To have an overview of the activities and budgets for each department to ensure the procedures laid down in the company’s financial regulations are adhered to.
- To ensure the accurate and timely preparation of management accounts, the effective operation and development of management systems for all accounting functions, particularly those relating to purchase ledger, sales ledger, fixed assets, payroll, cash and banking, nominal ledger and stock control.
- To be responsible for the preparation of appropriate financial reports for the company and to present such at Board Meetings, as and when required.
- To be fully conversant with new initiatives, new legislation and modern thinking in all matters relating to the financial management of the company and to advise the Management Team and Boards accordingly.
- To plan and prepare financial management documents, including financial plans, budgets and forecasts.
- To manage and oversee the preparation of all statutory returns to include but not limited to filing VAT Returns, making timely payments of VAT, PAYE, SSNIT and payments required by statutes.
- To plan implement and develop the Finance Team operating procedures.
- To lead and initiate liaison with auditors, business advisers and external regulatory bodies e.g. Ghana Revenue Authority.
- To deliver an excellent service to the customers of the company through financial management of the organisation.
- To optimise the use of the company’s SAGE accounting software with an emphasis on effective financial control procedures.
- To manage all the company’s investments to their best advantage.
- To lead and manage the Finance team by establishing excellent ongoing working relationships with the team via recruitment, training and communication.
- To liaise with the Human Resources & Administration Manager to ensure staffing levels are maintained, recruiting effective staff as necessary, in line with relevant policies and procedures.
- To effectively manage the performance of the team by carrying out progress reviews and ensuring objectives and key outputs are cascaded throughout the department.
- To liaise with the Human Resources & Administration Manager and line managers to establish an on-going training programme in line with company policies, to develop all staff to appropriate standards.
- Communicate effectively with the team on a regular basis ensuring information is clear, accurate and timely; encouraging team participation in the way information is relayed to and from the departments.
- Promote and adhere to the organisation’s culture and values.
- To be aware of, adhere to, and implement any legislative requirements consistent with overall duties of this post.
- To undergo relevant training and development required by the Chief Executive.
- To carry out any other tasks that will, from time to time be allocated by the Chief Executive on an ad hoc or continuing basis, commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the post.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent communication; both oral and written and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven report writing skills.
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proven ability to liaise with statutory agencies e.g. Ghana Revenue Authority, SSNIT etc
- Team Leader/Player.
- Ability to set targets, motivate and inspire staff to achieve targets.
- Ability to prioritise responsibilities under pressure and be self-motivating.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Preferably, be proficient in the use of SAGE accounting software
- Competitive Salary
- Additional performance-based pay possible
- Off-site accommodation support for international candidates
- Health insurance provided
- A leadership team and colleagues invested in your personal and professional growth
- Dynamic, young culture with great opportunities for learning, leadership, and FUN
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send us your resume and the details requested to email@example.com.
The details should include:
(a) Your earliest availability for a Skype chat.
(b) Your earliest available relocation date to our Accra office, if not based here.
(c) A paragraph describing your relevant experience and interest in the position.
Please include prior experience in agriculture/ICT sector, if any, and relevant business development experience.
Our team will contact only short-listed candidates. Unfortunately, we may not have the capacity to answer individual candidate questions until qualified candidates reach the interview stage.